Inspired by an article I read on Glamourmagazine.co.uk – Amount women spend on beauty products, it got me thinking how much I actually spend on beauty – and I can already tell you its a lot! Reading the article, it was Fragrance Direct who commissioned a survey of 1,000 UK women to find out how much they were spending on their beauty regime -turns out on average we spend £482.51 a year. This includes everything from skincare prep to make-up products and they have created a online calculator tool for you to work out how much you spend. My total came to – £1,072.80 annually but to be honest it could be more than this as I tend to like trying out a lot of products. For example I will have maybe 2x mascaras on the go at once, or I will have a different type of foundation depending on what I am doing – one for everyday, one for evenings which has more coverage, maybe also a lighter coverage foundation for the weekend…. And let’s not even begin to add in costs of beauty tools and other beauty products such as body care, hair care, nails, etc.
So wanting to dive in a little deeper into this, I wanted to conduct a small exercise of pricing up my day-to-day make-up. These are the everyday products I use without adding in special products I use for special occasions, evenings, etc. So here is it:
*Side note – if you are my husband reading this, close this page down right now! Ekk!
Make-up bag breakdown-
- Foundation: Revlon ColorStay Makeup For Normal/Dry Skin – £12.99
- Under Eye Concealer: Glossier Stretch Concealer – £15
- Blemish Concealer: Beauty Pie Unbeatable Concealer – £20 rrp (membership price £4.09) *will use the rrp price for this as I’m not now a member
- Powder – Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Power in Transparent – £3.99
- Bronzer: MUA Bronzed Perfection on Matte – £4
- Blush: Glossier Cloud Paint in Dusk – £15
- Highlight: MAC Cream Colour Base in Hush – £19
- Eyeshadow: Urban Decay Heat Palette – £39.50 *this is my currently most used eyeshadow palette and I tend to choose different shades each depending on what I feel like
- Mascara: LOreal Lash Archietect – £10.99
- Brow Pencil: Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil – £20.50
- Lipstick: Kat Von D – ‘Studded Kiss Crème’ satin-matte finish lipstick in Cathedral – £17 *currently most used lipstick, but I do tend to chop and change this depending on how I feel
There is of course a few side notes to make here, for example I could choose a cheaper lipstick one day, or decided not to wear any eyeshadow on the odd day. All and all though these are my desert island products if you will, and I will tend to use these products at least 5-7 times a week. It’s a little shocking however to think if I lost my make-up bag, it would be nearly £200 to replace – wow!
If I were to price up my whole make-up collection and skincare, I think I would have a heart attack but hey – everyone has to have a hobby right? In the grand scheme of things however, most of these products do last a long time so when you break it down to cost per use it’s not that bad….right?!
I thought it might be interesting to turn this into a bit of a ‘How much is your makeup bag’ TAG as it was quite interesting and also gives you a glimpse of what’s in my day-to-day make up bag. So if you’re up for it, give it a go yourself and tag me in the post – I would love to see your ‘what’s in my bag make-up bag!’
How much is your everyday make-up bag?